Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Day 6 of “The 12 Days Of Christmas Music” & "Italian Knot Cookies"

“Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful.” Quote by: Norman Vincent Peale  

Welcome to Day 6 of “The 12 Days Of Christmas Music.” I hope that you enjoyed yesterday’s post, “Dominick The Italian Christmas Donkey.” Just to remind some of my readers that have just stopped by what I am doing, everyday for the next 6 days I will post a Christmas song, and share a holiday treat, a homemade gift idea, or just a favorite recipe that I think may go with that song, all leading up to “Christmas Day!” This has been an incredible year! I want to say thank you to my readers, as we prepare for the most joyous time of the year! (Don’t forget to come back tomorrow!)



Here on Long Island last weekend and yesterday we had some snow. Many people like me, love the snow. How many of you, my readers are looking forward to a White Christmas? Here on Long Island, NY we do not get many years with snow for a White Christmas. When I lived upstate a White Christmas was almost every year! There is just something about Christmas and snow! It must be because of the warmth of a crackling fireplace, Christmas decorations, and a cozy family gathered all together making merry. So while everyone is warm inside, outside it is snowing and it makes it beautiful. Snowflakes are like kisses from heaven!

You guessed it; today’s song is “White Christmas.” Irving Berlin wrote this song about an old-fashioned Christmas setting in 1940, in warm La Quinta, California. The version sung by Bing Crosby is the best selling single of all time. Bing Crosby sang this song for his NBC radio show on Christmas Day, 1941. It took 18 minutes on May 29, 1942 to record the song which was featured in the musical movie called, “Holiday Inn.” The composition won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1942. Bing Crosby was associated with it for the rest of his career and on another note, the musical “White Christmas” was the highest-grossing film of 1954.

Day 6: “White Christmas

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten
and children listen To hear sleigh bells in the snow



I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white.



My recipe for you is "Italian Knot Cookies," which are easy and scrumptious. There is nothing like a genuine homemade Italian cookie. It is like a little taste of love all wrapped in one small bite. Italian mothers and grandmothers have used their recipes and have passed them down from generation to generation. This is my mom’s recipe.

"Italian Knot Cookies"


Ingredients:
3 cups of unbleached all purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cups of sugar
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons orange zest (you can use lemon zest)
2 tablespoons orange juice (you can use lemon juice)

Frosting:
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
4 to 5 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
Colored sprinkles or confetti
 
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the orange zest and juice. Then beat in the dry ingredients gradually, and beat well to mix. The dough will be soft; wrap it in waxed paper and refrigerate it for 1 hour to make it easier to handle.


Place the dough on a well-floured surface. Pinch off small egg-sized pieces of dough and roll each piece into a rope about 7 inches long and the width of your middle finger. Tie into a loose knot and place 1 inch apart on the greased cookie sheets. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool slightly. Frost when still slightly warm.

To make the frosting/glaze in a bowl, combine the sugar and 1/4 cup of the milk and beat until smooth. Add more milk if necessary to make a thin frosting or glaze. Beat in the almond extract. Dip the top of each cookie into the frosting, shaking off the excess. Place them on racks and sprinkle with colored sprinkles or confetti. Let the frosting dry before storing. These will keep in an airtight container for up to a week; or freeze them for up to 3 months. (If there are any left)  Yield: 3-3 1/2 Dozen    Enjoy! Ciao!

Till Next Time………………………………...............

Copyright © 2013 “Family Plus Food Equals Love”  All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Christmas songs are so magical, aren't day? My husband is playing them on the piano and with the decorations all over the house and excited children, it all feels so Christmassy!
    I didn't know this recipe for Italian knots and I am sure this is one the long treasured traditional Italian recipes. They look so delicious! Thank you for sharing this Dottie! XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alida,

    Thank you for stopping by. Yes, I could listen to Christmas songs all year long. They bring back the child in us, that is for sure.

    Italian Knot cookies are very tasty and a traditional coolie for this time of year. Yes, this one is a treasured one that my grandmother had, and passed to my mom, who then passed it to me.

    Glad that you enjoyed the post. Blessings, Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dottie , Had to help out at HR this week , lots of employees are out sick , listen to White Christmas all day all the Christmas songs .
    I have truly enjoyed these last few days and I know I will enjoy the next ones .
    We seldom get snow here and if so , it lasts for a day or two (maybe) , your homemade gift ideas is right on spot .
    Dottie , an Italian Christmas would not be the same without the "Italian Knot Cookies" . You are a life saver , I loaned my recipe to a friend , Now I have yours , now my cookies will be complete .
    Dear Dottie I am looking forward to the rest of your series , what great joy to spend time with you . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nee,
    This is such a busy time, plus it is the law of average that everyone seems to be sick as well. Besides the weather doesn't seem to help.
    Thanks for stopping by. I am so glad that so many people are enjoying my Christmas series. I have been singing those songs as well. Once they get in your head it is hard to stop. But I must say that it gets you in the spirit!
    These Knot Cookies are so good, it is like you can just eat one after another. So glad I was able to give you the recipe again. Yummy, yummy...one for me and one for you..Enjoy...Blessings, Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete